Gifts That Make an Impact Now
If you would like to make a big difference for CMU students today, consider the giving options below — many of which have financial and personal benefits to you.
Recommend a grant now from your donor-advised fund
Memorial or Tribute Gift
When you give a memorial or tribute gift for CMU to honor someone special, you’re expressing your love, admiration, and gratitude in one of the most meaningful ways there is. Your gift will honor your loved one, create a lasting tribute, and change the lives of students.
Gifts of Appreciated Securities
Matching Gift Opportunities
Would you like to maximize the impact of your giving and encourage other supporters to mobilize on behalf of CMU? Consider sponsoring a matching gift challenge. Donate a pool of funds to CMU, from which we will match any donation made within a given period of time. In this way, you can double the impact of your giving.
Qualified Charitable Distribution
You can transfer funds from your IRA directly to CMU. This is an effective way to have an immediate impact and ensure our work to educate the leaders of tomorrow. Here’s how it works:
- You must be 70 ½ or older.
- An individual may transfer up to a total of $100,000 per year and a married couple may give up to $200,000.
- Your gift must be transferred directly from the IRA account to CMU.
- Your gift is a transfer of funds from your IRA to CMU so it does not create taxable income for you and is not considered a charitable tax deduction.
- If you are 72 and older, the transfer of funds counts towards your annual Required Minimum Distribution from your IRA.
If you’re interested in this popular way to support CMU, download a sample letter for your IRA administrator here.
The Impact of Your Giving
could establish a Named Research Fund
Imagine helping CMU students and faculty find habitable planets, discover new solutions for climate change or develop innovative treatments for serious diseases.